Pursuing an LL.M. can be a transformative experience, opening doors to international career opportunities and to a worldwide network of contacts and friends. However, gaining admission to a prestigious LL.M. programme requires careful planning and a well-thought-out strategy.
In this article, our Executive Dean, Tito Rendas, shares valuable tips to help law students increase their chances of securing a spot in the LL.M. programme of their dreams. Having obtained LL.M. degrees from both Católica Global School of Law and Harvard Law School, he has experienced firsthand the rewards of carefully preparing applications. Here’s what he has to share:
“As the Executive Dean of Católica Global School of Law, every year I assess numerous applications of promising law students and I advise many prospective applicants on their journey towards LL.M. programmes. Regardless of the institution where you want to pursue your LL.M. studies, a few (commonly overlooked) tips can significantly enhance your chances of gaining admission. I would highlight the following three:
- Start early: One of the most common mistakes aspiring LL.M. students make is waiting until the last minute to begin the process and to submit their application. Start early by researching programmes, reviewing admission requirements, and identifying potential recommenders. This will give you ample time to prepare a strong application. You should also bear in mind that many schools follow a rolling admissions process, meaning that applying sooner translates into more available spots and greater prospects of acceptance.
- Write (and rewrite) a real personal statement: Your personal statement is your opportunity to showcase your passion for the field and why you are a strong candidate. The more personal the statement, the more effective it becomes. Admissions officers read hundreds of these statements annually and are captivated by personal narratives rather than standardized letters. Ideally, try to write multiple statements, so that you can choose the most compelling one. Moreover, you should make an effort to tailor your statement to each programme you apply to. While the temptation to reuse the same statement in every application may arise, admissions officers can easily understand whether that was the case.
- Pay attention to details: There is hardly anything worse in LL.M. applications than having avoidable mistakes. You don’t want to give an impression of sloppiness to admissions committees. Therefore, make an effort to meticulously proofread your application materials, particularly your CV and personal statement, to avoid any errors. Also, consider seeking feedback from colleagues and mentors to refine those materials.
Securing admission to an LL.M. programme is a competitive process, but with planning and dedication you can easily increase your chances of success. Remember that each hour you invest in preparing your application brings you closer to getting admitted. I wish you the best of luck on your LL.M. journey!”
The LL.M. application window at Católica Global School of Law is now open. Take advantage of our early bird campaign and secure your place in one of our three programmes:
- LL.M. Law in a European and Global Context
- LL.M. International Business Law
- LL.M. Law in a Digital Economy